Thursday 21 November 2013

To be or not to be...

I often think I’d like to be a writer. Captivate audiences with interesting topics, have a sophisticated and witty style. I can almost see it – sitting at a desk with a view of  some greenery in a nice tranquil village. Writing away at my desk. A nice candle burning away by my side, inspiring a finger dance on the keyboard.

Except then reality hits and I am in a Bristol suburb, crowded houses outside my window, not a site of candles, dreading the blank page on my screen. If anything, having to write will more often frustrate me.  I get very excited and passionate when I talk about things like migration, or women’s rights, but I actually dread putting the thoughts on paper.

I always wonder why that is. And I also wonder if it is better to pursue such dreams until we perfect our skill, or if it is best to leave it and move on to things that are easier for us to do and develop a passion for them instead. What has your experience been?

1 comment: