Monday 18 November 2013

This is what a feminist looks like

There was a time, when I was in my mid 20’s when I too thought feminism was a dirty word. It was a Saturday night in lower Manhattan, and I got into an argument with my friend over him buying me drinks. As we stepped out of the bar into warmth of a New York summer night, he offered to take me home and I politely declined making my way towards a stuffy subway.   
A few other girlfriends joined me and as we were giggling away I heard him mutter something including the word feminist. I don’t quite remember what he said, but I remember feeling offended. How dare him call me that! As we waited for the subway for what seemed like hours, I could not get over the fact that I was just called a feminist.
It took nearly 10 years, but I did finally get to a point where being called a feminist is a compliment. Makes me feel proud, and I think I finally got something right. The thing is, because of the way feminism is portrayed in mainstream culture, I’ve wasted a lot of my active youth years trying to disassociate myself from this concept. And a lot of other young women do too. 
Perhaps it’s time we reinvent feminism. Or just clear its name from all the negative connotations our patriarchal society has attached to it. It’s also time we bring feminism home – and by home I mean making it a part of our daily lives.  Perhaps making feminism practical can engage more young women.

No comments:

Post a Comment